Major Publisher Sabotaged Tax Break

Huge story for UK industry

Posted by Staff
Major Publisher Sabotaged Tax Break
A major international game publisher apparently exerted pressure in order to ensure that UK-based game publishers and developers would not receive tax relief in the government's Emergency Budget this week according to a report in Develop.

"While the majority of UK studios lobbied tirelessly to attain tax relief, one publisher counterbalanced the bid with a scandalous assertion of its own international influence and power", says reporter Rob Crossley.

"Insiders tell us that the publisher spoke to well-placed parliament allies to dissuade any legislative measures", he continues.

At this time no name is being published with regard to the publisher in question who would obviously have seen a dis-benefit to its own tax situation elsewhere in the world. We would also urge you not to add guesswork to the story by naming any names in the Comments section of this story.

Comments

deleted 24 Jun 2010 18:47
1/4
Well which Major Publisher would Benefit to not let UK Studios Gain Tax Relief?

I doubt its any of the 3 First Parties as they all have UK Talent on the books, hmmmm...
Psalms 24 Jun 2010 19:36
2/4
I feel like a good tabloid scandal and I'll believe anything at this stage. I'm looking at you Canadian/European mega publishers...
more comments below our sponsor's message
FML player 25 Jun 2010 17:11
3/4
It was Sega that was responsible, according to devs from SIgames (FML).
deleted 25 Jun 2010 20:07
4/4
FML player wrote:

>It was Sega that was responsible, according to
>devs from SIgames (FML).

I think the idea is not to name names, and I dont believe this with Rebellion being a UK studio
Posting of new comments is now locked for this page.