Manhunt withdrawn from sale by concerned retailers whilst others take advantage

> News Comments > SPOnG Comments Index

Topic started: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:41
Click here to view the news article this topic refers to.
Page:«12
Funky
Joined 27 Jan 2004
134 comments
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:41
Stupid morons in this world. I wonder if they'll ever link animal cruelty to Tom & Jerry cartoons.... or teen pregnancy to all those Barbie dolls and baby dolls.... or car crime to Matchbox cars....

Soon every product will be 5 times as big, just so they can fit on every disclaimer in case some retard decides to stick a cactus up his ass and sue somebody.
Ditto
Joined 10 Jun 2004
1169 comments
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:50
I think that they should all take the GAME route.

Having promotions on in the current climbate is sick and dis-respectful.
Mecha Ghandi
Joined 10 Feb 2004
132 comments
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:57
It does seem like a tricky issue, but I'm always pleased to see large businesses put integrity before profit.

Manhunt has been selling out in certain shops, with Rockstar fans seeing it as the possible last chance to get their mitts on a copy.

The packshot is all over the national news and most games websites, it is effectively advertising the project to a great many people. It's like that So Solid Crew gun thing... there was brief talk of banning their music, so everyone ran out and bought it immediately...

By taking manhunt off the shelves, retailers can sleep easy knowing that they didn't benefit directly from a very bad thing. It's almost irrelevant as to whether Manhunt is actually to blame, because as ong as it's talked about in this context, there is an undeniable link.
schnide
Joined 23 Apr 2004
575 comments
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:16
Mecha Ghandi wrote:

>It does seem like a tricky issue, but I'm always
>pleased to see large businesses put integrity
>before profit.

You kidding? They're doing it for their image.

Either way, games aren't evil but Manhunt is unneccessarily sick and is in very bad taste. It shouldn't have been made and is a disgrace to our industry.
config
Joined 3 Sep 1999
2088 comments
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:18
Funky wrote:

>Stupid morons in this world.

Imagine for a moment that your kid had been brutally murdered by a sadistic, Manhunt-obessed moron. The reaction is completely natural, though probably misaligned.

I'd personally blame the parents of the murderer, for raising a hidiously maladjusted child, and the for not moderating the material he watches/reads/plays.

Mecha Ghandi
Joined 10 Feb 2004
132 comments
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:32
"You kidding? They're doing it for their image."

I see what you're saying, but it's still an image of integrity and that's entirely appropriate given the circumstances.

Retailers have only 2 options: sell a frightening number of Manhunts on the back of this publicity, or simply refuse to do so.

I think looking after a brand's image is the less of the two evils.

Personally, I don't think Manhunt is to blame at all, but like I said earlier, it's incredibly dark to take advantage of the fact that everyone's talking about the game purely because a kid got murdered... which is why I'd understand it if the game went straight back on sale once the media hype has blown over.
claudioalex
Joined 15 Apr 2004
95 comments
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:41
"I personaly blame the parents of the murder",
what if the parents of the murder simply dont exist? who are you going to blame?, cause generaly these cases are about kids without parents,
For me this "Its parents fault" is a cliche invented by companyes like Rockstar to keep in the busines, but i dont swallow it.
The true is that in the world are many kids without parents, who are raised by they grandparents, uncles, aunts, or bad parents, these kids count in the world too, they exist,
so, if i own a company like Rockstar, and i know these kids live in this world, with my moral and principles, i would never produce games like Manhunt, which can have a bad influence in these disoriented kids,
THESE CHILDREN ARE NOT BLAME OF NOT HAVING GOOD PARENTS
Wazdoggydogg
Joined 6 Jan 2004
3 comments
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:43
I think pcworld.com should probably be pcworld.co.uk shouldn't it????
config
Joined 3 Sep 1999
2088 comments
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:47
Wazdoggydogg wrote:

>I think pcworld.com should probably be
>pcworld.co.uk shouldn't it????

Spotted!! Corrected. Cheers.

G.
NiktheGreek
Joined 20 Apr 2004
316 comments
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:31
claudioalex wrote:

>"I personaly blame the parents of the murder",

what if the parents of the murder simply dont
>exist? who are you going to blame?

But it was the murderer's parents who said he was obsessed with the game, so it's easy to logically conclude that they exist.
claudioalex
Joined 15 Apr 2004
95 comments
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:02
<"But it was the murderer's parents who said he <was obsessed with the game, so it's easy to <logically conclude that they exist"

hey, what do you think, this little child has a good or a bad careless parents?, do you think that she deserve to be influenced by this crap of game and all the crap that persons without moral send to this childs just because she doesnt have the luck of not having good parents? when a psyco kid influenced or inspired by a game like this kill one of your relatives you are going to regret everything you just said, don be selfish, and i repeat, DONT BLAME THIS CHILD FOR NOT HAVING GOOD PARENTS,
Jayenkai
Joined 29 Jan 2004
37 comments
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:54
I think, in the end, this all comes down to the way games are purchased.
Birthday comes up, Kids wants Manhunt, Kid gets Manhunt.

I work in an off-licence.
If a guy comes in for beer, I sell the guy the beer.
I don't say "Hey, don't give this to your kids!"

Similarly, I'm pretty sure if a guy walks into a gamestore, picks up Manhunt, the guy then isn't going to get a lecture on how NOT to give the game to a kid... It wouldn't seem right.

Maybe if the stores organised games the way that video rental stores are set out.
Placing Violent, 18 rated games on top shelves, or away in corners, would probably help immensly.
Especially if they place large red "18" banners on the back of the accompanying shelves.
Rustman
Joined 30 Jul 2004
72 comments
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 23:45
I personally didn't like the game. It's not that I found it deliberately shocking or even in bad taste, I just found the game lacking in gameplay and linear beyond belief.

However, when a game gets demonised for causing a tragic death, it harms the industry whichever way you cut it. Banning a game in one country is a pointless exercise when the entire world can communicate via digital means. The game will be sought out and obtained by more minors that definitely shouldn't be playing such entertainment, their desires being fed by the notoriety of the game.

The underground information available on the internet is only rivalled by that in the playground and I guarantee that the very PS2's that parents got chipped by a bloke wearing too much gold jewelry in Birmingham to save their beer money buying only pirate versions of Harry Potter will instead be playing copies of Manhunt handed out in playgrounds all over the country.

The son's mother and the tabloid press for very different reasons have only served to boost the sales of a game that was nearing the end of its full price life cycle. Rockstar won't be worried at all. Their game was rated by Elspa and sold on the understanding that the player was 18 or older.

If anything was to change socially, I would hope it is just the perception of games being just for children. They have top shelves in newsagents. There should be top shelves for mature games(or preferably shops) that are high enough so only those of voting age can browse. When Pokemon resides next to GTA something is just wrong with the system used by game stores (and I don't just mean they mix Nintendo and PS2 games up).
Rustman
Joined 30 Jul 2004
72 comments
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 23:54
claudioalex wrote:

><"But it was the murderer's parents who said he
><was obsessed with the game, so it's easy to
><logically conclude that they exist"

hey,
>what do you think, this little child has a
>good or a bad careless parents?, do you think
>that she deserve to be influenced by this crap of
>game and all the crap that persons without moral
>send to this childs just because she doesnt have
>the luck of not having good parents? when a psyco
>kid influenced or inspired by a game like this
>kill one of your relatives you are going to
>regret everything you just said, don be selfish,
>and i repeat, DONT BLAME THIS CHILD FOR NOT
>HAVING GOOD PARENTS,

I only saw blame being levelled at the parents in Nik's post. Not the "child". Try reading it again.

And please, if you are going to have a strong opinion, please understand that using grammar that you have seemingly invented is not the best way of conveying it.

Incidentally, the little child you speak of (if I interpreted your semblance of English correctly) is 17 years old. Most knife-wielding seventeen year olds that I know would not truly fit the definition of child. Nutjob, maybe. Child, no.
claudioalex
Joined 15 Apr 2004
95 comments
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 01:33
>I only saw blame being levelled at the parents in Nik's post. Not the "child". Try reading it again<

OK, I`ll try to be more clear, i can see you dont understand my idea, i can see its a little abstract for you,
i`ll give you an example:
your parents are drug dealers, and everybody in your neighborhood know this, most of the people who know your parent`s work will treat you bad, but in the end its not your problem, youre not gulity of what your parents do, then of course you will have a bad education, and if you have acces to games or media like this game (Manhunt), it will reaffirm the fact that this violence and this bussines is justify, this games wont help to his situation, of course he is 17, but it takes time to become a murder, he must was thinking about this violence behavor years ago,
Other exemple:
when a kid buy drugs, you say that its parents fault, but what about the responsability of the drugdealer? its not good to sell drug, or influence in the kids minds to buy drugs, its a value - moral - principle issue , its not the kids fault to not have a good education
In the end if you blame the parents, ok , they are guilty, but what about companyes responsability, ? they can influence his misleading mind, and he is not the only person who has bad parents in this world, then its a huge responsabilities for this companyes which have such a big and easy acces to many houses, to control their game contents to avoid influence this childs without a north in their life
<< Prev12

Log-in or register to permanently change your layout setting.