FBI Controlling Anti-Piracy Raids in the UK and Beyond!

Massive crackdown as Feds sweep globe.

Posted by Staff
Two men near an old-fashioned ship - could be pirates! Shot from Galleon
Two men near an old-fashioned ship - could be pirates! Shot from Galleon
In news breaking this morning, it would appear that the Federal Bureau of Investigation has co-ordinated a huge series of raids across eleven countries during Operation Fastlink, in an unprecedented move against escalating videogame piracy.

As well as targeting outfits in 27 states in the US, ten countries - Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Hungary, Israel, the Netherlands, Singapore, Sweden and the UK also had addresses hit overnight in the biggest clampdown in the industry's history.

In total, 126 raids were carried out by various law enforcement agencies under direction from the FBI. 100 individuals were specifically targeted, as well as several game-focused Warez groups, including Fairlight, Kalisto, Echelon, Class, and Project X.

GameSpot is reporting that "200 computers were seized during the course of the raids, including 30 servers - one of which had in excess of 65,000 separate pirated game, movie, and software titles on it. The Department of Justice estimated the value of the pirated software seized in the operation as $50 million", a massive sum.

"Intellectual property theft is a global problem that hurts economies around the world. To be effective, we must respond globally", said Attorney General John Ashcroft in a statement. "In the past 24 hours, working closely with our foreign law enforcement counterparts, we have moved aggressively to strike at the very core of the international online piracy world."

We'll bring you updates from Operation Fastlink as appropriate.

Comments

UnkaWillbur 23 Apr 2004 12:52
1/3
The inflated pricing of commercial software means there will always be a black market. "Piracy" is only the market expressing the true value (from the consumer's POV) of video, audio and application software. To most people downloading that price seems to be whatever they pay in monthly bandwidth charges.
config 23 Apr 2004 15:52
2/3
UnkaWillbur wrote:

>The inflated pricing of commercial software means
>there will always be a black market. "Piracy" is
>only the market expressing the true value (from
>the consumer's POV) of video, audio and
>application software. To most people downloading
>that price seems to be whatever they pay in
>monthly bandwidth charges.

I remember Sony's platitudes in the run up to the launch of PS1. With their magic black CDs and cheap duplication costs, PS1 games were going to be sub-20 quid. Fecking liars.

G.
brainofedsan 24 Apr 2004 15:49
3/3
Are u really suprised, america(lower case 'a') is trying to position it's self as world police. And you'll let it happen. If prices and release schedules were decided by 'Gamers' - passionate people, not feckin' suits.....

Remember when MSoft tried to raise the 'price point of AAA xBox titles to £45.00 ????

While I'm having my w/end rant........anyone notice how s**t Sonic Team Games are now???
Posting of new comments is now locked for this page.